1st woman to swim English Channel (1951)
On August 6, 1926, on her second attempt, 19-year-old Gertrude Erdell becomes the first woman to swim the 21 miles from Dover, England, to Cape Griz-Nez across the English Channel. A big achievement considering she did not learn to swim till the age of 9! And it was not until she was 15 that she learned proper form in the water.
- It’ll go swimmingly with our Swimming Activity Book – here
- Test your knowledge with our Swimming Quiz – here
- Try out some underwater aerobics with our activity – here
- Make some DIY bath salts to encourage water relaxation – here
- Or how about making some sensory swimming petals – here
- Embrace all things in the sea with our Under The Sea activity – here