British football league established (1888)
The Football League was established as a way to organize the fast-growing football activity in England. In the 1880s, the fixtures were often chaotic and a central organization was needed. The initiative was taken by William McGregor, an industrialist located in Birmingham and club director of Aston Villa.
- Have a kick about with our slipper soccer games and drills – here
- Print off and enjoy our football reminiscence activity – here
- Football is included in our sporting activity book – here
- Watch the 1966 world cup final with this Youtube link – here
- Watch some fantastic football moments with this clip – here
- And use our World Cup Wins activity guidance – here