Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol was published (1843)
A Christmas Carol, is a novella by Charles Dickens, first published in London. A Christmas Carol recounts the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, an elderly miser who is visited by the ghost of his former business partner Jacob Marley and the spirits of Christmas Past, Present and Yet to Come. After their visits, Scrooge is transformed into a kinder, gentler man. Published on 19 December, the first edition sold out by Christmas Eve.
- Watch the film A Christmas Carol!
- Read our monthly book club on Christmas traditions – here
- Enjoy our Guess that Famous Book quiz – here
- Print off and enjoy our Literacy activity book – here
- Enjoy a fun filled talk on the history of Christmas – here
- Listen to some Acoustic Postcards Christmas classics – here