E.T directed by Steven Spielberg released (1982)
On this day, E.T, directed by Steven Spielberg, was released in 1982 – the story of a little boy who befriends an alien. Since then the movie has received many nominations and awards. Did you know Steven Spielberg drew on his own experiences as an unusually imaginative, often-lonely child of divorce for his science-fiction classic?
Another fun fact, Hershey agreed to spend $1 million for the rights to promote the use of their product in E.T., and Reese’s Pieces became the little alien’s candy of choice. For Hershey this was a success as the company reported a 65 percent increase in profits on Reese’s Pieces just two weeks after the film premiere!
We think there’s no better way to celebrate this classic than with extra-terrestrial activities…
- Watch some clips from this classic film, start with E.T. Phone Home – here
- And then move onto the Ride In The Sky clip – here
- Look up to the “stars” in your life with our activity – here
- Try an Out of This World Moon Quiz – here
- Munch on some Reese’s Pieces!
- Enjoy our Extraterrestrial word search – here