Galileo demonstrates his 1st telescope (1609)
On this day in 1609 Galileo Galilei demonstrated his first telescope to Venetian lawmakers, including Leonardo Donato, the Doge (ruler) of Venice. A year after the demonstration, he published Starry Messenger, which described his finding – made with his new telescope – that Venus and the moons of Jupiter have phases, like the Moon.
- Take an Out of this World Moon Quiz – here
- Get outside and do some star gazing if it’s dark enough – here
- Or, do some cloud watching if you’d prefer daytime – here
- Appreciate the “stars” in your setting – here
- Find out more about Galileo’s telescope with this clip – here
- Make delightful origami stars with our activity – here