Henry J. Heinz founder of the Heinz company was born (1844)
Henry John Heinz was an American entrepreneur who, at the age of 25, co-founded a small horseradish concern in Pennsylvania. This business failed, but his second business expanded into tomato ketchup and other condiments, and ultimately became the internationally known H. J. Heinz Company. Legend has it that Henry Heinz invented ketchup by adapting a Chinese recipe for so-called Cat Sup, a thick sauce made from tomatoes, special seasoning and starch!
- Watch the history of Heinz with this clip – here
- Find out how Ketchup is made with this clip – here
- And discuss where Heinz Ketchup is better than own brands!
- Knit a BEAN-ie with this pattern – here
- Watch some classic Mr Bean on Youtube – here
- Do a Heinz versus own brand blind taste testing with beans and ketchup