International Cheetah Day
As founder of the Cheetah Conservation Fund, Dr. Laurie Marker chose to commemorate Khayam, a cheetah she raised at the Wildlife Safari she ran in Oregon, by establishing December 4th as International Cheetah Day in his memory. Khayam served as part of an important experiment determining whether or not captive Cheetahs can be taught to hunt and live in the wild on their own again. After a trip to Namibia, the experiment was proven successful, though she and Khayam returned home after observing local hunters eliminating wild cheetahs as a threat to their livelihood.
- Have a game of Name That Animal Sound with our activity – here
- Or watch some Cheetah cubs on a virtual webcams – here
- Find out more about big cats with our activity – here
- Print off and enjoy a Wildlife special edition digest – here
- Explore the Natural History museum’s Wildlife Photographer of the year photos – here
- Test your knowledge with our Animal Kingdom Quiz – here