International Picnic Day
Today marks International Picnic Day, the perfect time for a picnic at this time of the year here in the UK – however picnics weren’t even a thing before the French Revolution. It was at that time when picnics gained popularity after 1789 when parks were booming. These days, the picnic is a British tradition, and wouldn’t be complete without juicy, ripe strawberries, sandwiches, crisps and dips!
- Our first suggestion is to get outside and enjoy a picnic – indoor or outdoor!
- After you’ve enjoyed your food, lie or sit back for some cloud watching – here
- And, if the weather isn’t perfect for a picnic, enjoy our picnic activity book – here
- Enjoy some archive footage of a picnic in the 1960s – here
- Don’t forget the sweet treat as part of your picnic, carrot and walnut cake – here
- Enjoy a delicious Spanish muffin as part of your picnic, recipe – here