June solstice today, summer has fast approached! It is the only day of the year when all locations inside the Arctic Circle experience a continuous period of daylight for 24 hours due to atmospheric refraction. It occurs at the same time all over the world. Technically, the June solstice is the exact instant of time when the Sun is directly overhead the Tropic of Cancer. In 2021, this will happen on June 21 at 03:32 UTC so keep an eye out!
- Soak up the sun with our sun-themed quiz – here
- Make a sun shaped pin cushion – here
- Explore what the summer season means to you with our seasons activity – here
- Enioy some fruits of the season in a delicious fruit salad – try strawberries, blueberries and rhubarb
- Wake up early to watch the sunrise or stay up late and enjoy the beauty of the sunset together