"Mary Poppins" premieres in Los Angeles (1964)
Adapting P. L Traver’s Mary Poppins novel was a long and difficult process, with the author famously resisting Walt Disney’s plans to turn her work into a musical and being extremely unhappy with Disney’s idea to include animation into the project. Disney eventually convinced Travers that her novel was in safe hands with his passion and his understanding of the book’s themes. Despite the difficult production process, the film became an instant classic when it premiered with critics and audiences falling in love with the whimsical tale. Julie Andrews won an Oscar for her performance and the film was nominated for 12 more. The film has been adapted into a hugely successful stage musical and, in 2018, a sequel, Mary Poppins Returns, was released.
Enjoy our Disney themed activities below…
- Print out and enjoy our Mary Poppins Activity Book – here
- Challenge yourself with our difficult Disney wordsearch – here
- Learn more about Disney with our Disney Activity Book – here
- Explore the Disney theme parks with our activity – here
- Have a singalong to Julie Andrews music with our playlist – here and our lyric sheets – here