Milk sold in glass bottles for the first time (1879)
On April 8th 1879, milk is sold in glass bottles for the first time in the United States. It’s a clear improvement in hygiene and convenience. Until that time, people bought milk as a bulk item, with the seller dispensing milk out of a keg or bucket into whatever jugs, pails or other containers the customers brought.
- Make your own marvellous milk cakes with our recipe – here
- For a quick win, make these super cool cereal milk lollies – here
- Try out your own sensory milk fireworks – here
- DIY ice cream with our no-churn recipe – here
- Blend up your own milkshake, try banana splits – here
- What are your memories of milk bottles? Have a go at our reminiscence activity – here