Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London burns down (1613)
In 1613 a theatrical cannon being used for a performance accidently went off prematurely and set fire to part of The Globe’s thatched roof. Within minutes the roof was ablaze and fire spread wildly throughout the whole building. It is said that the building was destroyed in less than an hour and miraculously, only one casualty was recovered from the incident.
- Listen to a podcast about Shakespeare from our partners at History Hit – here
- Print off our Happy at Home Shakespeare book – here
- Enjoy our Shakespearean music activity from our partners at Musical Moments – here
- Have a go at creating your own sonnet with our activity – here
- Try our word association game – here
- Enjoy a video with Grace at Street Theatre – here