The first traffic lights installed at Piccadilly Circus (1926)
The first electric traffic lights to be introduced in Britain were put up in Piccadilly, London, on August 3rd in 1926. They were operated manually by policemen using switches! The automatic traffic lights made their first appearance on an experimental basis in Princes Square, Wolverhampton, during November 1927.
- Start off by watching BBC footage of the traffic light being installed – here
- Then enjoy our Happy at Home Birth of the Motorcar Activity Book – here
- Or if you prefer a faster pace, try our Motorsports Activity Book – here
- Discuss different types of road transport, from cars to buses to bikes
- Enjoy our Buses special edition Oomph! Digest newspaper – here