The International Olympic Committee founded (1894)
The first Olympics was cofounded by Pierre de Coubertin on this very day in 1894, followed by the first ever modern games held in Athens on 1896. Since then it has been a tradition to hold the Olympics in a different country every four years. The 2021 Olympics will be held at Tokyo, but of course it will be a little different this year as there will be no spectators! However do tune in to your television as it will be aired live later this summer.
- Watch a short video about how the committee was cofounded – here
- Enjoy the International Olympic Committee section of our monthly activity book – here
- Enjoy our sporting activity book, covering a variety of popular sports – here
- Check out Bfi’s footage from the first London Olympics in 1908 – here
- How about some sports based games, check out our Games and Drills page – here