The Night Before Christmas was published (1823)
On this day in 1823, the poem ‘A Visit from St. Nicholas’ or ‘The Night Before Christmas’ was first published. It was published in the Troy, New York, Sentinel, and was reprinted frequently with no name attached. It was published anonymously, but has been generally attributed to Clement Clarke Moore. Moore later acknowledged that he did indeed write the poem, and included it in an 1844 anthology of his works at the insistence of his children, for whom he wrote it.
- Enjoy our Christmas talk and quiz, straight from Santa – here and here
- Have a read of the poem and discuss – here
- Listen to some Christmas classics – here
- Get in the festive spirit with our Christmas Activity Book – here
- Enjoy our Christmas Traditions monthly book club – here
- Print off and enjoy our poetry pack – here