The Smurfs debuts on TV (1958)
The Smurfs is a Belgian comic franchise about a group of small, blue creatures who live in mushroom-shaped houses in the forest. The Smurfs was first created by the Belgian comics artist Peyo in 1958, known as Les Schtroumpfs. The word “smurf” is the original Dutch translation of the French “schtroumpf”, which, according to Peyo, is a word he invented during a meal when he could not remember the word “salt”. The Smurfs first appeared in their own cartoons in 1959 and in their own movie “The Smurfs and the Magic Flute” in 1976.
- Puzzle it out with a Classic Children’s shows Word Search – here
- And write your own comic strip with our activity – here
- Remember some classic smurfs with a compilation video – here
- Or have a blue themed day with blue food, decorations and outfits!
- Compare the The Smurfs TV show then and now – which do you prefer?