During unprecedented times and at a time when the care sector is being affected enormously by the current Coronavirus situation, resident wellbeing is even more important than ever. As part of this Oomph! are keen to support care homes with stimulating and varied content for resident engagement. We will be releasing resources based on our Oomph! skills workshops, starting with a digital Oomph! Nature mini-series. These resources, and more, will be uploaded to our Wellbeing Resources Hub.
The second topic in our Nature mini-series is:
Mind, Body and Soul. We’ve suggested 30 ways to improve resident wellbeing through nature.
“Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” Albert Einstein.
- Read from gardening books
- Create a gardening quiz – we’ve found this one
- Create a sowing seed calendar. This veg planner from RHS might help kick it off!
- Check the world through a magnifying glass
- Bake a cake and relate the ingredients back to nature – or how about baking an English Rose cake
- Play a garden memory game
- Play word games with nature themes – how about this nature themed wordsearch
- Nature crosswords
- Nature puzzles
- Reminisce about past times in Nature
- Nature box – residents have to feel objects in a box which are nature related and guess what they are
- Create a nature collage – go out into the garden to find items
- Do some breathing exercises with nature sounds, here are some exercises to get you started
- Play catch outdoors
- Make a bird box – some instructions here
- Have a hand massage in the garden
- Sow some seeds
- Nature themed Oomph! Session
- Go for a garden walk
- Sweep the garden
- Try out some of the RSPB nature activities here
- Keep a nature journal. This could be a daily journal and include what residents can see in the garden
- Nature jokes… What did the big flower say to the small flower? What’s up bud!
- Bird watching – here is a bird watching guide and a bird identifier to get you started
- Nature Poetry. Here are 7 famous nature poems to read together, or try writing your own. These could be included in the newsletter
- Read positive quotes which relate to the outdoors… “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished”. Here are 45 nature quotes to read and discuss
- Learn and discover what flowers do
- Watch nature documentaries – like the Blue Planet II
- Watch residents’ favourite gardening TV show
- Listen to the sounds of the beach, the forest or birds singing